Pages

January 6, 2011

Should a woman hire a sex worker to lose her virginity?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for covering this topic. It's a very interesting one.
I had a friend once ask me if I would lose it to an escort. I'll admit that I'm tempted with the idea... who wouldn't want a adorably handsome stranger catering to your erotic needs? Well, probably not a virgin like me actually.
Although the societal double standard does exist to some extent, I don't know if it fully explains why women hire don't hire escorts. Like John said, a woman losing her virginity is an emotional experience rather than a purely sexual one.
Losing my virginity to an escort would be similar to losing it to an awkward 15 year old in the back of his car (albeit the former experience being more pleasurable) because there wouldn't be an emotional connection that I could hang on to. The reason I'm still a virgin is because I haven't found the guy I want to lose it to- to me, my virginity goes hand in hand with my status as a single woman. I can get rid of the virginity issue but I'll still be single. In my opinion, the latter problem takes priority over the first.
Although I'd love to have a great first experience with an able man who knows what I want, I feel like I'd prefer one where I lose it to someone who I have a personal bond even if he doesn't really know what he's doing.

John Oh said...

Hi girlslashwoman. Wanting an emotional bond with your first lover is definitely a barrier for many women considering using the services of an escort. But it does raise another question: is there any reason why you can't develop an emotion connection with an escort?

One off dates are unusual for me these days. Most of the women I see employ me more than once. As a result, more and more I find that I am spending time outside of actual dates chatting with, emailing, and texting with my clients.

Given that level of interaction it is almost impossible for us not to develop some form of emotional connection. I am a part of their lives (sometimes secret, sometimes not).

This may not be the same for other male escorts - I can only speak for myself. But if you were to ask me: could a woman who is a virgin have an emotionally as well as sexually fulfilling experience with me? Then I would say that the answer is yes - assuming that there was the required basic attraction there to begin with.

Regards,
John.

Jen said...

Great insight from someone who seems to get, not only female sexuality, but also the unique predicament of the older virgin. It's refreshing. Many sex writers and bloggers seem to regard us with a sort of mild disdain, as if assuming we're all just followers of the Religious Right's Christian virginity-till-marriage cult. We're not. At least, not all of us.

I'm a left-leaning ex-Catholic who'd had every intention of getting some in high school. Or college. Or graduate school. It just never happened, and I was too busy -- with school, work, and general shyness -- to do much about it. It's a shame that sex work is illegal in the US (except Nevada, which allows tightly-regulated brothels that have been likened to modern-day slavery), because if it weren't, I'm sure I wouldn't be the only 20something virgin to consider such an avenue. Unlike my still-Catholic friends, I'm not interested in wedding-night awkwardness: the sexual Russian roulette of an untried partner. For better (sex) or worse. For the rest of your life (eek!). Nah. I'd rather be shown the ropes by someone who hopefully doesn't kink on virginity (ew), but isn't revolted by it, either. Sounds like an escort could fit the bill. Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, there are potential career-damaging legal ramifications that I'd like to avoid. In case I ever run for office :)

Thanks for sharing your perspective from down under, though. The US would do well to loosen its collective 235-year-old girdle and join the rest of the enlightened world in the 21st century.

John Oh said...

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your comment. As you say, I think that too many people fail to think about:

"the sexual Russian roulette of an untried partner. For better (sex) or worse. For the rest of your life (eek!)"

Sex isn't everything in a relationship, but a relationship without sex is going to be more or less unhappy for one or both partners. Given how stressful modern life is on relationships already, that extra stress of no sex, or bad sex is just unnecessary.

Australia may be more relaxed about these issues (somewhat), but we all still have a long way to go.

John.

Anonymous said...

I have been considering hiring a male escort, but honestly couldn't get around the idea that I'm paying for the sex, and therefore that is the only reason the man would have sex with me.

John Oh said...

Hi Anonymous,

A lot of women who I talk to share your feeling: that an escort would only have sex with them because he was being paid.

I would like to try to dissuade you of that notion. The women who engage me aren't paying me to have sex with them. They are paying me for my time (when and where it suits them) and for me to pay very special and careful attention to their need and desires (especially so if they are a virgin) and to put my desires second to theirs.

If have never been employed by a woman who I would not have had sex with if we had met socially.

So, Anonymous, please don't feel that employing an escort is an act of desperation or such. It is just a choice. And if you are a virgin, then it may be one that gives you control and confidence in a situation where you are especially vulnerable physically and emotionally.

If you would like to talk about any of this further, then please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
John.

Post a Comment

We have moved this blog to http://virginitymovie.com where you can find all our posts and leave comments. This blog is no longer active. See you at the new site!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin