I wanted to share a part of a comment we received in response to our shout-out to older virgins.
I'm also a 38 year old virgin (male)...which of course has a tremendous amount of stigma to it...its not like I have a sign stapled to my forehead that says "I am a 38 year old virgin" but I am operating under the assumption that lack of dating/relationship/sexual experience will show itself out in time anyway...This is something that I know many might find pathetic and/or something to mock or patronize but to me this is something that deeply saddens me to the point (at times) of great depression.
This is an under-represented group in the mainstream and we'd really like to give it a voice in our documentary. Please email us at info@trixiefilms.com with your stories - we can start out anonymously if you'd like.
April 27, 2008
A shout-out to older virgins - update
By
Therese
Labels:
Older virgins
2 comments:
You know if you plan on having a segment in your film on these older virgins then I can't see how you're going to convince these older virgins to be a part of your film without completely concealing their identity including possibly concealing their voices as well as the visual aspect of their identity. Even the mere revealing of their identity to only one person who knows they are one of these older virgins could be a problem (more so if they are a male I think). This might seem paranoid on the surface but not really when you really think about in totality. All I can say is this will probably be a challenge for you to find these older virgins that would be willing to be part of your documentary.
Here is an interesting quote I came accross from an article from salon.com
Every older virgin has a unique story," Johnston explains. "They run the gamut from terrible shyness to emotionally barren families to sexual abuse. But all older virgins feel terrible shame. They feel embarrassed and humiliated by their lack of relationship experience." Age 30 seems to be a line of demarcation. "By 30," Blanchard explains, "older virgins feel so socially awkward and out of sync with the world around them that they choose to hide."
http://dir.salon.com/story/sex/feature/2003/10/08/virgin/index1.html
Also there was another article (with over 40 pages of very interesting responses) from salon about stigma older women virgin go through here http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/09/06/virgins/index.html
and responses
http://letters.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/09/06/virgins/view/index12.html?show=all
Post a Comment
We have moved this blog to http://virginitymovie.com where you can find all our posts and leave comments. This blog is no longer active. See you at the new site!