OK, so it's just a letter to the editor I wrote in response the the hymenoplasty story they did. They didn't run it, but thanks to the magic of the internet, I can just post it here:
Re: "In Europe, Debate Over Islam and Virginity"Take that, Letters to the Editor.
Although this story focuses on French doctors, the procedure is done all over the world, even here in the good old liberal USA. It's not done exclusively by Muslim women either, as the Times story suggests, but also by women from Latin-American countries. Quite often, women who have never even had sexual intercourse get stitches put in - just to make sure they bleed on their wedding night (since many women don't bleed their first time).
The whole issue of testing and restoration is completely maddening and mind-boggling, particularly because the hymen – an elastic and ever-changing little membrane that wasn't even 'discovered' until 1544 – is in no way a reliable indicator of virginity. And yet, we have placed profound and enduring moral value on its condition.
2 comments:
Interesting that they did not print your letter. Glad you did anyway! I have enjoyed your blog and I applaud you for bringing awareness to the issues of virginity and female sexuality. The trailer from "The American Virgin" is fabulous (Britney Spears indeed!) Is the film released yet? I'd love to promote it with my friends and fellow bloggers.
Thanks, CWF! The film is in production right now, but feel free to promote away!
We're fundraising and trying to build awareness for the film, so feel free to send one and all to this blog or to www.trixiefilms.com/virgin
And if anyone is on facebook, they can become a fan of the film at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-American-Virgin/23031460649
Post a Comment
We have moved this blog to http://virginitymovie.com where you can find all our posts and leave comments. This blog is no longer active. See you at the new site!