
Did you catch the video of Susan Boyle's audition for Britain's Got Talent? She wowed the judges and the audience with her rendition of "I Dream a Dream" from Les Miserables.
You can see it here - and please watch it until the end!
It's a story for this blog because in the pre-interview, Ms. Boyle described herself as a virgin who's never been kissed and lives with her cat. She presents a less-than-glamorous figure: overweight, unfashionably dressed, unemployed, looking older than her 47 years. I was cringing watching her, dreading what was to come.
Not surprisingly the audience and judges laughed at her ambition to become a singing star. As Simon Cowell keeps reminding us, women have to be young, slim and sexual to make it in the business. So it brought me and the rest of the world a lot of joy to watch her flying her flag, taking their shit with great humor – and then blowing them all away with her wonderful performance.
I get a lot of emails from people who have shut down their outer lives because they've never had sex. They believe they're not pretty enough or sexy enough or experienced enough to ask anything of the world.
So next time you're feeling that feeling, STOP and watch Susan blow them all away, outward appearances and history be damned. I hope she becomes a huge star and fuck the rest of 'em.
April 15, 2009
Scottish Virgin's Got Talent and Kicks Ass
By
Therese
Labels:
International Affairs,
Media,
Older virgins,
shame and guilt
2 comments:
It breaks my heart to read that you receive emails from people who have shut themselves off from their life because they haven't had sex. Of course this makes sense given all of the messages that we receive on a daily basis about exactly what is desirable (and what isn't) but I am astonished and troubled all the same. How can we help these people and others reclaim their precious (we only get one) life? Certainly watching people like Susan Boyle "rock" the audience helps but what else can be done? Thoughts?
I'm hoping this blog can generate some conversation around the topic, either through comments or some kind of forum.
While I'm very happy to hear from readers privately, I encourage them to speak to the world on issues that trouble them. It's the only way others know they're not the only people feeling like they do.
There's a new series on the blog called First Person where people can tell their own stories of virginity lost, found and kept. I'd love more people to contribute, anonymously if they prefer.
http://theamericanvirgin.blogspot.com/search/label/First%20Person
I just reposted one of our most popular items 'I was A middle aged virgin" as well.
http://theamericanvirgin.blogspot.com/2008/05/i-was-middle-aged-virgin.html
The series of shorts we're working on will have a section on older virgins, although it's near impossible to get anyone on camera to talk about it.
Other out-of-blog ideas would be great.
Post a Comment
We have moved this blog to http://virginitymovie.com where you can find all our posts and leave comments. This blog is no longer active. See you at the new site!