Pages

December 19, 2010

First Person: Bob
"The longer I stay a virgin, the more it becomes a self-perpetuating feedback loop."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The longer I stay a virgin, the more it becomes a self-perpetuating feedback loop and the harder it becomes to break free."

Boy, do I know that story all too well. I actually identify with so much of your story, it's ridiculous. I'm even more of an anomaly because a) I'm a woman, which means I could apparently "get it whenever I want," and b) I study sexuality (ha). I like your attitude though and I admire your openness. As you see, I'm not quite there yet.

- Your Comrade in Virginal Goodness, A.

Anonymous said...

I also relate to your story. I always used school, my career, lack of stability as an excuse not to date. Now that I am ready to become romantically involved with someone, I find I am way behind the curve which just adds to my discomfort. So many of my friends want me to dive into the numbers game and just date a whole lot, but with my lack of experience, I have found I am more comfortable nurturing one potential relationship at a time. It might take longer that way (also maybe more emotionally taxing?), but I know that's what I need to feel comfortable until I have caught up more with my peers. I find myself increasingly drawn to the idea of finding a friend I already trust for my first time with sex. Then I can at least cross that off my list of things I haven't done yet.

Anonymous said...

I kind of feel the same way. As in, it just so happens that I'm a virgin. It's nothing other than inexperience and a crappy dating scene... as far as I know.

Anonymous said...

I am a 37 year old woman and am angry that I still have mine. I subscribed to a save-myself-for-marriage mentality and was influenced by religion throughout high school, college, and my early twenties. Once I realized a wedding wasn't on the horizon and I started to see cracks in other peoples religious arguments (they were telling me to save my self, but were and had been getting it on) I decided to challenge my beliefs. However, at my age, I don't feel like I can throw it away on someone insignificant. I am frustrated that suitable dates are scarce and that men don't really care about a woman's mileage (or lack thereof). This frustration makes it much harder for me to date when I actually meet someone. It is a self fulfilling prophecy that has me praying that I don't die a virgin.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous #2: I totally echo your desire to turn to a trusted friend for my first time. Unfortunately, my only prospect is one who fears us sleeping together will confuse our already emotionally-intense friendship.

I'm going to think positively for all 5 of us. Hopefully the new year will bring us what we're looking for.

- A.

Anonymous said...

Bob and all the other Anonymouses (?) -- I am totally with you! I spent my formative years being super ambitious, academic and feeling I was mature enough to know I wasn't mature enough for sex. But once I was ready... crickets in the dating sphere (and then some very awkward dates, then more crickets). The feedback loop, as you call it, is tricky, especially when the average individual in your peer group doesn't see sex as a big deal, and doesn't understand why you may not be so comfortable with it. I think especially as a woman, you're considered a freak or a prude or something worse if you're over a certain age and still a virgin. I'm embarrassed, even though I know there's nothing wrong with me, and it's SO ANNOYING.

Thanks for speaking out, Bob!

Anonymous said...

Add another reader to the mix. This is basically my story.

Sigh.

Post a Comment

We have moved this blog to http://virginitymovie.com where you can find all our posts and leave comments. This blog is no longer active. See you at the new site!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin