Pages

December 24, 2009

What if Mary Wasn't a Virgin?

8 comments:

Harold said...

Insanity.

"The simultaneous worship of virginity and motherhood is guaranteed to drive you mad and totally warp your ideas about female sexuality, seeing as the only way to give birth is to first have sex (almost always) negating your virgin status."

Exactly. Ask yourself: Is there any *reason* to believe that such a thing is possible in humans and if so, why does it represent an evolved moral condition? What facts of reality lead to such a conclusion?

Add to that the intrinsicist notion of immaculate conception and you've got a real mess on your hands.

Harold said...

An interesting note on the Ann Landers column you linked to...

She says she wants kids, but doesn't want to have sex because she's afraid of pain. Well, what does she think childbirth entails?

That article was from 17 years ago. I hope (if she still has that problem) they aren't together anymore.

Therese said...

I'm no theologian, but I imagine the doctrine of the virgin birth was as much influenced by attitudes of the day as anything other so-called religious absolute.

If the culture has an entrenched fear of female sexuality and the power that involves, a woman must be idealized as sexually innocent.

Mary is the anti-Eve, de-sexualized to reverse the Original Sin of seeking knowledge and experience, sexual or otherwise.

As for the woman in the Ann Landers column, she clearly needed to see a shrink. Pronto. I have no idea what happened to her, but there have been subsequent cases of women who haven't had intercourse getting AI and remaining 'technical virgins.'

Harold said...

Interesting points. In your research, what reasons have these women given for going the AI route? I'm assuming they have men in their lives.

Therese said...

I haven't done any serious research on this. Just things I've come upon here and there. One was a single woman acting as surrogate - but wanted to make sure she remained a virgin until she got married. Carrying and delivering a baby was OK, I guess, as long as there was no sex involved. I wish I had the specific article now.

Kari said...

It seems to me a fairly powerful religious/spiritual lesson could be derived from a version of the story that says Jesus was conceived outside of marriage.

If I grew up with the story being told that way, I'd be lead to believe beauty and nobility are inherently human characteristics. I'd also be aware from childhood, that no matter what circumstance we are born into, we have the power to influence, and perhaps transform, the world. I think I might just blog about this now.

But, told as a virgin birth just keeps one focused on mystery and questions of plausibility.

Thanks for a great blog, by the way!

Therese said...

Thanks, Kari. If you do blog on it, please send us the link and we'll post it!

Kari said...

I will. It's going to take a little thought and crafting. But, I'm happy to have that thought stimulated.

Post a Comment

We have moved this blog to http://virginitymovie.com where you can find all our posts and leave comments. This blog is no longer active. See you at the new site!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin