Pages

March 12, 2010

Do we need to define virginity in order to have a conversation about it?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You're right that it's hard to define. I would say it's just an absence of sexual experience. Of course, that begs the question: What kind of experience? Do the reproductive organs of both parties have to be involved? How long does the "sex" have to last in order to count, 1 second? 3 minutes? An hour? I think unless you use it with regard to a specific act (penetration, trib, oral, etc.) you can't really pin it down, as it were. But of course then we'd always be virgins in some way or another and the idea becomes meaningless (hm...) Personally, I think that big problem is that we try and reify it and treat it like it's something you can keep. How can you "lose" nothing? You can't lose what you never had.

Anonymous said...

I have read numerous articles like this that have trouble nailing down the concept of virginity. They often say something like the comment "So, what is there to be done really but throw the word, the idea, the history out?" I always find this frustrating. While there is no consensus on when virginity ends, there is no debate what to call someone without any experience. I have kissed a girl only twice in my life. With that being the extent of my sexual experience, no one would debate the fact of my being a virgin.

Ellice said...

Anonymous, I can name at least a few people who would totally debate the "fact" of a person's--any person's--virginity. They're the people who believe, and I'll count myself among them, that not having had sex isn't the same as not being a sexual person. I do think virginity is hard to pin down because I do think it is an idea that's been shaped in complicated ways, to mean sometimes really different things.

I guess I should also clarify that if I really believed the concept should be tossed aside and forgotten about that simply, I wouldn't be writing about it. I think it's completely worth exploring because I think conversations about sexuality are important. Virginity is one way, among potentially many, to talk about sexual experiences. Why not imagine the alternatives?

Anonymous said...

I guess I can only share my understanding of virginity since everyone has a different experience: I think I define loss of virginity as shared sexual experience that initiates you into a new understanding of yourself as a sexual being. The first time I "had sex" I was intoxicated to the point of not remembering it. But the next time I "had sex" I was with someone I was in a loving relationship with. The transformative "A-Ha" moment that I associate with "losing my virginity" didn't come from the first time the physical act of penetration occurred. It came from the moment it meant something to me.

Natasha said...

I am a sexual being, but I never had sexual intercourse. I consider myself a virgin. Others with this new way of considering virginty may not agree. I never thought of the idea of someone who is gay how that would effect them too. That would make it tougher to define. I have my personal definition, that is what matters most to me.

It is interesting how I am reading about viriginty and everyones opinion on what it means. I use to feel apart of the feminist movement until I seem to get this seperatist vibe from the current movement. I am a traditonal women and I am also liberal minded. I think that in order to make a discussion on what it means to be a virgin today we have to respect what the history of virginity means! It's not about division. That's how we got to the state we are in now.

Post a Comment

We have moved this blog to http://virginitymovie.com where you can find all our posts and leave comments. This blog is no longer active. See you at the new site!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin