From time to time, we run a First Person culled from our comments section. One of our most popular threads is older virgins, and this post in particular has inspired a lot of discussion. Please send us an email if you'd like to tell your story.
I'm an older (female) virgin. I find it to be terribly embarrassing and I cringe at the idea of anyone knowing. I've educated myself about sex (the best I can without actually having sex) so I don't look like an ass when my friends are having conversations about their latest conquests. I'm pretty sure they all know though, but so far they've been kind enough not to bring it up.
I'm not shy. I get compliments on my looks and I get approached by men. I would like to have sex. Now, yesterday. In order for that to happen though, I'd have to tell someone my status and risk rejection or, even worse, humiliation. Unfortunately, it's difficult to know how to proceed when a man approaches you if you've had no experience with relationships. It's worsened when we live in a age where virginity is equivalent to leprosy. I realise that's an extreme statement, but take a poll of people who've told friends they're virgins and see if you see similarities in the responses.
I met a guy about two years ago who I really liked and I felt the attraction was mutual. Then, during one conversation he made fun of a woman he knew who was very interested in him. He thought she was weird for being in the V-Club. She was a great deal younger than I was at the time. I figured if he thought she was strange, there was no way I was saying anything.
I've made some peace with things as they are. I feel like I have no other choice.
March 5, 2010
First Person: "To have sex, I'd have to tell someone my status and risk rejection or, even worse, humiliation."
By
Therese
Labels:
First Person,
shame and guilt
7 comments:
That is so strange. I would be delighted to make love to a virgin.
LOL to the above comment.
I have had bad experience when admitting to being an older virgin. It turned into a massive argument and being publicly outed by someone. Most have been very understanding but can still be somewhat embarrasing.
The poster might want to check out this episode of the Savage Love podcast (3/9/10). Just goes to show that there are understanding guys out there.
Starts at 15:37
Thanks for the tip, Harold. We just did a post on it so please check it out...
http://theamericanvirgin.blogspot.com/2010/03/older-virgins-dan-savage-has-excellent.html
Yeah, I saw it. Thanks.
dear poster:
the guy worth being with won't embarrass you.
it may sound far-fetched... but its true.
i was also an older virgin. my boyfriend and i met about 9 months ago. he thought it was interesting to meet someone my age with so little experience. but, when he perceived that i have some reservations about sex (stemming from religious upbringing and related fears), he said he'd wait for me to tell him when i was ready, rather than expecting it at any certain point. his patience in that arena was a clear cue of who he was as a person; his patience has stood out in almost every other area of our relationship.
Post a Comment
We have moved this blog to http://virginitymovie.com where you can find all our posts and leave comments. This blog is no longer active. See you at the new site!