Pages

February 16, 2009

A Century of Naked Girls? Just Say No.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to this website, and I'm having a hard time finding anything particularly controversial about it. It isn't sexual at all. To some degree I find myself feeling bad about staring. Its just girls and women with no clothes on. I'm not sure why that is fundamentally scandalous. It reminds me of my high school girlfriend carrying around a book of nudes to practice her drawing technique. It occurred to me at the time that she shouldn't have that sort of thing at school, but really what it does is de-sexualize the human body. Really it was only one step away from a diagram in science class. I think being offended by this type of thing really says more about how the viewer perceives nudity than about how the artist or model see it themselves. I'm actually not sure that objecting to this type of thing is very removed from the abstinence education you object to so strenuously.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I am surprised that such a seemingly progressive website would post an article about The Century Project in a negative light. I saw the project, and in fact was a model for Frank Cordell at the age of 15. Frank Cordell is a very professional man who in no way made me feel sexualized. What surprised me about the project was how Frank Cordell was able to take pictures of nude women without sexualizing them. Nudity can bring about sexual thoughts, but it is completely natural and I am surprised that the article immediately assumed that a nude woman could only be associated with her sexuality. I would also like to say that the Century Project, and especially my own photo shoot, helped me realized how distorted my view of my body was. The entire point of the project was for people to realize that just because a woman was nude, did not mean that she was displaying her sexuality. I know the project is not for everyone, but I helped with the project to come to William and Mary, and the misconceptions John Foubert was feeding administrations of future sponsors of the Century Project made me realize just how ignorant this country can be. John Foubert has not even seen the project, and so I don't see how his opinion can be considered valid.
I am VERY disappointed in this website. I thought this site was progressive, now I see that its views are just as distorted as the rest of the country.

--Lucy, just another angry american girl

Therese said...

I'm very glad to hear your experiences with the Century Project were positive. My own feelings about it, after spending considerable time on the website, continue to be negative.

One thing this blog is always questioning is why woman's worth or interest has to be linked to her sexuality. As much as we'd like to think being naked has nothing to do with being sexual, our culture tells us otherwise on a regular basis. So when evaluating an exhibit of female nudes, I have to look at how the nudity informs the work.

In this case, I agree with Shira Tarrant, who did see the exhibit: "An 8-year-old girl certainly has lots to tell us. But why does she have to do it in the nude?"

Post a Comment

We have moved this blog to http://virginitymovie.com where you can find all our posts and leave comments. This blog is no longer active. See you at the new site!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin