Pages

July 19, 2010

No virginity, please. We're British.

4 comments:

Madeleine said...

I read this in print, and did wonder why your blog wasn't mentioned, but I suppose the main cux of the article was about Kate Munro and her blog.
I don't think all Brits are as repressed as that, it's a generational thing, my friends and I often have conversations about sex, and the question of our first times has come up and been discussed. I wouldn't have that conversation with my parents (that would be too weird) but with my friends, sure, we don't tend to have too many secrets from each other, and swapping stories (especially if they're funny) about sex is just another topic of conversation.
Certain parts of society probably wouldn't and as I said, it may be a generational thing. But we're all pretty open in the crowd I mix with. Well, that's my two cents anyway.

Therese said...

Even the link to Kate's blog was all the way at the end of the story. Just seems odd not to link to the people you're writing about within the text - and to link to Kate's blog up top. Maybe we do it more in N American blogs? Not sure.

Anyway, thanks for your point-of-view re repression. It might be generational, or it might just be The Guardian : )

Madeleine said...

The Guardian is quite a good paper usually. In print they always put references to books/blogs etc at the end and I think on their site they just post the article as it is in print, without adding any additional links.

Now I'm wondering if it is a generational/repressed British thing. Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

I'm nineteen and from the Republic of Ireland, so not exactly U.K., but kinda close (geographically and culturally). I don't think we're more repressed than America- in fact, I think the opposite.
I have never ever come across anyone pedalling a 'sex before marriage is wrong' shtick, and I went to religious schools (99% of schools in Ireland are religious). Not my parents, not my teachers, not my friends- not even randomers.
The only emphasis given during sex education is 'the right time'.
I've also never experienced any sort of pressure with regards to sex from my peers directly- society in general yes, but not from anyone I know. Whether I just got lucky (no pun intended) with my friends is another matter though.

-Sharon

Post a Comment

We have moved this blog to http://virginitymovie.com where you can find all our posts and leave comments. This blog is no longer active. See you at the new site!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin