Pages

July 27, 2009

2-D Love: A disturbing reaction to lack of experience with relationships and intimacy

5 comments:

Olivia Pettijohn said...

I think there OUGHT to be outcry about this, not to shame virgins, or those whose imaginary sex lives are primary, but because his "girlfriend's" character is a ten-year-old child. Sexualize/romanticize an imaginary woman, fine, but a child's a different story.

Therese said...

As I wrote above, a very uneasy fascination with child-like sex objects is part of so many aspects of Japanese pop culture. I agree we should condemn it, but the people in this story have put their own spin on something fairly common. That doesn't make it palatable in the least, but it's a bigger phenomenon than just in 'moe.'

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the Salon story a few years ago about men in Western countries who form "relationships" with life-sized silicone dolls (who in this case bear more of a resemblance to adult women:

Just like a woman

Laura said...

I read something (I can't remember what right now, sorry) in one of my classes about men's relationships with inanimate objects. Having "girlfriends" that are inanimate, according to this reading, encourages violence against women because it completely and totally objectifies women...literally making a woman into an object or an object into a woman. Just another thing to think about when looking at these kinds of stories.

Allen Chan said...

Well, Nemu Asakura is supposed to by 15-16 (3rd year of Jap middle school) which is 9th or 10th grade here.

So the NYT article got it wrong.

Post a Comment

We have moved this blog to http://virginitymovie.com where you can find all our posts and leave comments. This blog is no longer active. See you at the new site!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin